Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Arkansas winter duck season

Again,

I'm catching up with what went on since early in fall of 2010.

Duck season was great. Some drought conditions created for an interesting season. It was hard to find the birds, but once they were found they tended to be higly concentrated making for many a great hunt.
Gator (my black lab) and I, hunted all over the state: Arkansas River Valley, Augusta AR, Pocahontas AR, and some places that will not (never) be named.
Although the duck swatting was great last season in Montana, it felt good to get back in the swing of things in a state that is so rich in duck hunting tradition. It also didn't hurt that not one day afield was spent in subzero weather conditions.
I will say this before I start to blab too much about some honey holes. I have never seen so many mallards in the Western half of the state as I did this year. Maybe due to influx of OK birds.....but Oklahoma didn't have as many Mallards as the Arkansas side of the border boasted for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment